Sons of Norway Foundations – International and District 5
through our International and/or District 5 Foundation.
Sons of Norway Foundation – International
Please join the Sons of Norway Foundation for our “Together We Are the Future” campaign!
- The campaign runs from October 1, 2023 through January 15, 2024.
- The goal for 2023-24 is to add $185,000 to the SON Foundation for scholarships and grants.
- Look for our campaign which was featured in the September/October Viking Magazine.
The mission of the Sons of Norway Foundation is to celebrate our Nordic culture and heritage through scholarships and
grants to our members and communities.
The core values of the Sons of Norway Foundation are as follows:
- Building our culture and heritage for the future.
- Committing to life-long learning and service
- Demonstrating compassion for our members in need
- Sustaining the link to contemporary Norway
- Fostering a community of generosity
Nordic legacy and keep our vibrant communities thriving for generations to come, it is a 501(c) (3).
Your generous donations will:
- Provide access to higher education for Sons of Norway members
- Showcase our unique Norwegian heritage and culture to wider audiences
- Support cross-cultural exchange programs with Norway
- Bring humanitarian support to Sons of Norway members affected by natural disasters
link with your members and friends. Tusen takk! Please contact our website for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Donations may be made to:
Sons of Norway Foundation
1455 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55408
Sons of Norway District 5 Nordic Legacy Foundation
- The purpose of the Sons of Norway Fifth District Nordic Legacy Foundation (NLF) is to promote our Nordic heritage, culture, our youth, and education through scholarships, presentations, programs, and foundation grants.
- The mission and core values of NLF are the same as international, with the focus on programs within District 5.
- The Nordic Legacy Foundation, a 501(c) (3), provides grants, academic scholarships and camp scholarships to our District 5 members and lodges.
- District 5 sponsors the Sons of Norway District 5 Norwegian Heritage Camp – Masse Moro. The focus of this camp for 9 – 15 year olds, is to promote our Nordic heritage and create friendships for a lifetime.
- Donations are used to support the camp's curriculum, purchase needed equipment and provide tuition assistance. Again, your support is appreciated.
Please contact our District 5 website for more information: http://www.sonsofnorway5.com , or our
D5 Foundation Director, Sandra Olson, at email@example.com
Donations may be made to the District 5 Foundation:
Nordic Legacy Foundation
2056 Skaalen Road
Stoughton, WI 53589
Your donations and support are appreciated.
Sandra Olson, D5 Foundation Director
Task Force Call
We are having a meeting via ZOOM on Saturday, September 23, at 9:00 AM CST to get your feedback and input.
After that, we will propose a bylaw proposal for the board to review and then send to the 2022 delegates (District 5 Lodge Members) to act on in November. Our goal is to have the final changes sent to International in December so they can approve it and we can move forward with the nominating committee working on whatever the board will be structured like. The resolution was to report to the delegates in 2024 which we will, but after the long discussions and task force work, we feel that action needs to be done now to address the challenges that we have in filling board positions and how our district functions. A more detailed agenda will follow. All the documents, survey results, and other materials can be found at https://sonsofnorway5.com/board_of_directors/directors_messages.php so you have all the information that we have dealt with!
Darlene Arneson Task Force Chair
Task Force Report to the 2022 SN District Lodge Delegates, Board and Task Force members
The Task Force has been meeting via ZOOM, phone and through sub-committee work for the past year. We have done numerous surveys and now have a proposal that we would like to visit with the 2022 delegates, District Board, and Task Force committee. Please read the August 26 notes (see attachment).
We are having a meeting via ZOOM on Saturday, September 23, at 9:00 AM CST to get your feedback and input. After that, we will propose a bylaw proposal for the board to review and then send to the 2022 delegates (District 5 Lodge Members) to act on in November. Our goal is to have the final changes sent to International in December so they can approve it and we can move forward with the nominating committee working on whatever the board will be structured like.
The resolution was to report to the delegates in 2024 which we will, but after the long discussions and task force work, we feel that action needs to be done now to address the challenges that we have in filling board positions and how our district functions.
A more detailed agenda will follow. All the documents, survey results, and other materials can be found at https://sonsofnorway5.com/
If you get multiple copies of this email, it's because you serve on multiples groups being invited (District Board, 2022 delegates, and Task force)
Task Force Chair
August Task Force Zoom Meeting
Thank you to the sub-committees who have been working this past few months on collecting information and developing ideas for the task force to discuss.
I closed out the survey this morning after entering any responses that came in via US Mail or emailed. I hope I got them all- we had 49 responses.
So attached is:
- The agenda for Saturday's call
- The summary of the responses
- The charts as that gives a good visual of how many chose the same response. I just don't have time to summarize the Excel file.
- The map package
If the sub-committees have anything that they want to send out, I'm also attaching the full Task Force member file. You can highlight the email column and then BCC that in an email so that you can send it out yourself. Or you can send it to me and I can.
Thanks so much!
Task Force Survey May 2023
Please email your responses to Darlene Arneson by May 27 for discussion at our next meeting.
The online, email and hard copies surveys will close on July 15.
The District 5 Task Force will use your responses in their report to the Board.
Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Darlene Arneson, 2056 Skaalen Road, Stoughton, WI 53589.
Or you can share this or fill it out via Google Survey!
SN D5 Task Force May Survey
Please send your thoughts on zones so the District 5 Task Force and Board can review them. Please input your responses by using this survey for discussion at our next meeting. The online, email and hard copies surveys will close on July 15. The District 5 Task Force will use your responses in their report to the Board. Send them to email@example.com.
Thank you!Darlene Arneson,
District 5 Secretary and Chair (Zone Alignments and Lodge Development & Support Committee
April 29, 2023 Task Force Zoom Meeting
· April – Hold a call with the Task Force to discuss a timeline and what the board discussed
· May– July- hold listening sessions in-person and via ZOOM
· August- have another Task Force Call and see what the feedback is and develop two main proposals to take to lodges for input
· August – September- get feedback on the two proposals
· October- have a report to the board
· October – December- take a bylaw proposal to the District 5 members (delegates in Middleton)
· January – announce results so the Nominating Committee can move forward
Ø The number of Zones would be reduced?
• East Wisconsin
• West Wisconsin
• North IL & IN
• All Michigan
• South IL, Southwest Ohio and TN
Ø More of the officer positions were relieved from zone director responsibilities?
• President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer & Youth Director all at large with no zone responsibilities
• Cultural, Publicity, and Sports & Recreation Directors retain zone responsibilities.
Ø Benefit member status could be eliminated for all District Board members?
Some Potential Zone alignments
Remember currently the District Board is a total of 14 (15) members.
• Six Zones with each having two Zone Directors – 12 members
(Most officers also Zone Director responsibilities)
• Secretary and Treasurer no zone responsibilities – 2 members
• By-law amendment in process of approval to add a Youth Director to the board without zone director duties. – 1 member
There were a number of maps in the PowerPoint- do any look like they would work? Slides 15-18
Decide our next steps! And does anyone want to chair the Task Force?
Topic: SN District 5 Task Force Call
Time: Apr 29, 2023 09:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
District 5 Task Force 2022-2024
Resolution #2: Approved: THEREFORE, be it resolved that the 2022-2024 District President shall appoint a Special Committee consisting of but not limited to current District Board members, past District Board members and District Members at large. The committee shall meet during the next biennium and present a recommendation of proposed solutions at the District Lodge meeting in June 2024. The Task Force should include diversification of selected appointees to include past, present, younger, older, different genders and from distant geographical areas that includes a more all-inclusive demographic appointee (s).